Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hot and Sour Edamame

So, finally, another recipe. That makes what, 3 recipes all this month. Partially this is a problem with what I eat. I mean this week has been all lentils and pasta and there's only so much I can milk out of that [maybe you should have thought of that before starting a food blog! --ed]. I was going to have another lentil dish, but then remembered I had bought some shelled edamame on an impulse buy. So I decided to make a varient of Mark Bittman's Hot and Sour Tofu with Edamame (the varient was, I had no tofu). It taught me a valuable lesson though, if you have a recipe you're downscaling fourfold, do the calculations beforehand. As a result, the proportions are wonky.

Hot and Sour Edamame

  • oil
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 cup frozen edamame
  • 1/4 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 small chilies
  • 3/4 teaspoon fermented black beans
  • 1 heaping tablespoon Shaoxing wine (I used Fukien Loh Chiew, which may or may not be Shaxoing wine)
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • couple of squirts of honey
    Sautée the onion in the oil on high for about 3 minutes. Add the edamame and the stock and cook for a few more minutes. Add the garlic, chilies and black beans and cook for another minute. Add the wine, vinegar, soy sauce, honey and a little water and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Serve over rice.

    Serves 1.

    For a very ad hoc meal it was quite tasty. Because it was ad hoc I grabbed, edamame right out of the freezer, if you were making this with foresight the edamame should go in with the vinegar. I used a pickled red chili and the mottled green chili from this picture. It worked out well and I hope to make the real thing at some point.
  • 2 comments:

    1. Man you update this a lot.

      Also that looks gross. As I scroll through this blog I wonder how you're even alive.

      ReplyDelete
    2. YUM. The photo has made me hungry! It looks great. I think only vegetarians should be allowed to comment on this blog. -Sidrah

      ReplyDelete