Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Grand Gardening Generalissimo

Gardeners are somewhat like dictators. You have, what you think, is absolute control over your land. Yet you're constantly fighting a series of internal and external enemies to maintain control. Then there's also the whole notion of the "fit" plants being allowed to survive while the untermenschen are ruthlessly exterminated. Which is to say, I felt slightly guilty about weeding – especially after I realized how many weeds there were (and this is after the weeding I already mentioned):

So I'm not saying its not politically problematic, but given that it satisfies some of the same urges I think that all potential dictators and sociopaths should be redirected towards gardening. And its not just theory, the despot Diocletian gave up the Roman Empire to tend to his garden. I'm just sayin' we need to get the proverbial Diocletian's before their reign starts....

The rest of the garden is going well. There are lots of tomatoes turning red. My chili plants are doing well, my estimate of 4 chilies growing was off, I have at least double that. I had a green chili off my main chili plant for dinner today, gave off a nice amount of heat. I'm really excited about the chili plants my neighbour gave me. They're starting to produce chilies, which should be ready to eat at some point:

No comments:

Post a Comment