Saturday, August 22, 2009

Restaurant: Ghazale

Toronto has a lot of places that sell falafel. I like Ghazale. They catered my bar mitzvah and I've been a regular, if infrequent, customer. Its a cute little place, nestled next to the Bloor Cinema (along with the upscale burger joint Acme Burger, which is quite good though a little pricey).

I will occasionally grab a samosa from Ghazale on my way back from one of the area's bars (some of which don't have the greatest record) but I mostly will get falafel there. We had some family over and picked up a big order (too many, in fact, but the leftovers were pretty great when it was too hot to cook).

We also got some of their Tabbouleh, which I ate with some of the falafel. The other pita, I added some greens from a salad. In retrospect, I would've thrown in some tomatoes. You may notice that there is no tahini. After a long struggle, I have admitted to myself that I do not like tahini and eat falafel without it. I like the fact that Ghazale respects this choice, unlike another certain falafel place in the area which will always put tahini on no matter how many times I ask for it without.

Ghazale
504 Bloor Street W, Toronto, ON

5 comments:

  1. Oh, the Green Room. Are they closed right now?

    Ghazale's is great. I don't remember the filafel, but the meat is salty as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it IS pretty unforgiveable not to like tahini, especially with filafel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Green Room has now reopened after a long, government imposed, shut down. People say its dirty, but anyplace that will offer us a 1/3rd empty pitcher of sangria from another table is a-okay in my books (nb, the sangria was delicious).

    I put my attitude towards tahini in the same category as my attitude towards Citizen Kane, Bob Dylan, and Battlestar Galactica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As in, "I recognize that this thing has value, but I personally find in grating?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laila is better.

    And not liking tahini is stupid. You should be banned from eating falafel. I'm thinking of posters in every Middle Eastern place in the entire city with a picture of you and the words 'DO NOT SERVE'. That would teach you.

    ReplyDelete