Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Asian-Style" Frittata

I'm not a huge fan of the term "Asian-style" (and its older, thankfully mostly disappeared, brother "Oriental-style"). I mean, it makes as much sense as talking about Euro-South-North-Amero-Afrostralian cuisine because there are more people in Asia than those places and just as diverse (you could throw in an extra North America and Europe and Asia would still be larger). This is a rather lengthy way of mentioning that I made the Moosewood's Asian-Style frittata. I was back in Toronto for the weekend and wasn't sure what to make as there was lots and lots of food. Ironically though, I have a lot more (quote/unquote) "Asian" condiments and sauces which really could have helped out this meal.
Asian-Style Frittata

  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup snow peas
  • 3 bok choy leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
    Sauce
  • 1 dried chili
  • 1/4 cup water/stock
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 teaspoon cool water
    The vegetables sound eclectic, but its pretty much just any 2 cups of vegetables per egg. Sauté the onion on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, snow peas, ginger and bok choy leaves (or the slower cooking veggies you use) and sauté for a few minuets. As you're doing that, whisk the eggs with the ginger and soy sauce. Add the garlic and the boy choy greens (or the faster cooking veggies) and cook for a minute. Poor the eggs in, cover and cook on low heat for about 6 minutes. Bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and then add the dissolved cornstarch. Pour the sauce over the frittata and serve.

    Serves 1.

    You may be wondering why I had balsamic vinegar in an "Asian-themed" fritatta. Well, as I mentioned above my parents didn't seem to have any mirin etc. Also, once again, cornstarch thwarted me by clumping up forcing me to spoon out half of it. The meal was okay, but I wish I'd used the greens and such for a stir fry and soft-boiled the eggs for breakfast [That's your wish?! Not world peace or something? Geez --ed].
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment