Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rice

My rice cooker was cruelly slain and I never got around to replacing it. The one thing I disliked about it, and what I disliked about a lot of stove-top rice cooking, is the cust of rice remains left on the bottom (ugly example of this hidden below). I also dislike the inexactness of conventional stove cooking. This recipe, which I've adapted (i.e. really dumbed down) from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian is a nice solution to both these problems and leaves rice that doesn't stick to the bottom. The original recipe involves sauteeing the rice in oil and adding all matter of spices and such. Its a fun recipe, but not necessarily needed when you just need plain rice. This recipe is for white rice, though you can use brown rice if you parboil them first.

Rice

  • x cups white rice
  • 2x cups water
    Turn the oven on to 350°. Put the pot on high heat and throw in the rice. Measure the water and add it to the pot (make sure it doesn't boil over, like it did above). Wait until it boils and then throw in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve.



  • 7 comments:

    1. For stovetop rice cooking, I always melt a tablespoonof butter in my pot, coat the rice in it, and then add my water. It never sticks to the bottom.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oven temperature?

      ReplyDelete
    3. 350.

      I tend not to use a lot of butter in my cooking, but yeah that would definitely be another way to preven rice from sticking (though see also, Mark Bittman's recipes for stuck-pot rice, where stuck rice is a feature, not a bug.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Oven? That does strike me as a little nutty. Almost everything I do is stove top. Having had a working rice cooker at home and here I haven't boiled rice in ages. I find it frustrating as hell with an electric element, because you can't bring the heat down QUICKLY, which is essential.

      Crusty rice is a key part of the enjoyment of dolsot bibimbap, the Korean rice and mixed vegetables in a stone bowl. I like it except the really hard ones that lodge in your teeth.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oven-baked rice does seem a little weird at first, but its easy to get used to (like women voters).

      I need to eat some Korean food again, probably will next time I'm in Toronto.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I've baked rice and liked the results. I sometimes saute brown rice in some oil first. But basically I'm with Leo - stove top elements are a drag, even gas stoves, and cleaning the pot just puts me over the edge.

      Great blog Jake - I'll send my favourite curried lentil recipe when I'm back in Kingston

      Hannah K.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks Aunt Hannah, I look forward to your lentil recipe.

      ReplyDelete