Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Introduction

My roommate gone for the summer, I decided to start a food blog. I suppose I could've learned how to yoodle or gotten a fish (which I'd have named Pushpanathan) but I decided to do this instead. I do love to cook, though I guess it doesn't naturally follow that I should thus share recipes and my thoughts on vegetarian cooking with the entire internet. The project might seem narcissistic but... well I guess it is narcissistic. Still, it's not any more than most other kinds of blogging, so I guess I'll try it for now.

I didn't cook much for most of my life. My parents cooked for me throughout high school and there was a (not particularly great and overpriced) meal plan in first year university. Everything changed in second year when I went to live at Sci '44 Co-op a co-operative housing organization. Well not everything, there was still a meal plan. The difference was, we needed to work for it. Every week I'd enter our big stainless steel communal kitchen and cook for a hundred people (hundred fifty if everyone showed up). I'm still very grateful for my co-cooks and the head cook (A wonderful woman named Wanda) for really teaching me how to cook and tasting the meat for me to see if it was ready. I'm definitely still an amateur though.

I consider myself fairly frugal when it comes to buying food, but I definitely don't want to get into a frugaler-than-thou contest. If being frugal is part of your identity, I'll concede you're more frugal than me (for example, I just switched away from Lakeport Beer. Not worth the savings). Still I have some fun stories about frugality that I'll share over the course of the blog, some of which maybe only I find funny. One thing about not spending a lot of money on food is that it can still taste great! I remember reading a blog about a person who ate for a dollar a day for a month. It was really cool, but a lot of the stuff sounded really bland. He ended up having some money left over, it probably would've been good to invest in some spices other than relying simply on salt. It certainly did for me when I've spent a similar amount in some months (which isn't, of course, a fair comparison because I already have spices).

When it comes to cooking, aside from the internet I have three main cookbooks. Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian is fantastic. It's a thousand pages of information about how to set up a kitchen, buy produce and, of course, hundreds of recipes. My other two are both from the earnestly vegetarian Moosewood Collective: Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day and Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals. They're less comprehensive but there are some really great recipes in there. And although I don't own it, Fuschia Dunlop's Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province is also amazing. Though far less vegetarian (maybe cause, uh, it's not a vegetarian cookbook) it also does double duty as a travel memoir.

So that's where I'm coming from. Basically the plan is to talk about recipes, cooking and vegetarianism and hopefully not be too boring in the process.

3 comments:

  1. Really? That's all you could say about Queen's meal plan?!?!?! It ruined food for me, I suppose one good thing was that it strengthened my love of food and allowed me to explore my inner-foodie.

    I look forward to reading your thoughts.

    Have you always been a vegetarian?

    ~AS~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's like a dozen of our conversations on here already. I really strongly considered starting a feud blog, I may yet, but I have trouble getting myself to be prolific. I've always been more an eeker than a gusher, if you know the analogy. Some semi-famous writer lady said it. Anyways, exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was a bit understated about my loathing of the meal plan – though I did appreciate the ability to mix ginger ale and cranberry and orange juice at Ban Righ. I've been a veggie for about 20 years now, and a full one for about 15.

    You should start one, Leo – you could have a feature where you buy crazy things from the market and then cook them!

    ReplyDelete