Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mulligan Soup

One of my staple invented dishes is something I like to call Mulligan Soup. Its a ever changing mix of vegetables, beans and a starch. Usually that starch is barley, but I had not-quite-enough pasta for a meal so I used that instead. In fact, I think the only thing the same about the recipe below and the first time I made Mulligan Soup is the garlic. And, probably, cumin. The carrot and the white beans give it a nice orange look, when I made it with red kidney beans it was an angry purple. I overfilled the bowl with soup so had to sip it a bit befor I could take the picture.

Mulligan Soup

  • Oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • A cup of pasta or 1/2 cup of barley
  • 3 cups Stock/Water
  • 18 ounce can of beans
  • A vegetable, originally brocolli, but a carrot in this case: chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin

    Sauté the garlic and pasta in some oil under high heat. Add 2 1/2 cups of the stock and turn the heat down a bit. As the soup simmers, put the beans, the remaining stock and some of the vegetables in a blender. Add the pureed mix to the soup along with the remaining vegetables. Cook for about 15 minutes, under the pasta or barley is tender.

    Serves 2.
  • 1 comment:

    1. Jacob. Cool blog. With respect to frugal shopping, I think you should do an investigative analysis on the London Farmer's Market. I personally enjoy their fruits and veggies, and for the most part their prices. But, are there prices really as good as they seem? Or is a greedy middle-person taking more than their fair share? You be the judge.

      ReplyDelete