Sunday, June 28, 2009

Blogging Bittman's Beguiling Bean Burger

On an ideological level I have some issues with the concept of the veggie burger. It seems to beg the question that vegetarian food is a second-rate imitatation of the "real" food. Commercial veggie burgers are too often a grim caricature of a real burger or a Frankenstein's Monster of various hippie nuts and seeds (credit where credit's due, Webers has excellent veggie burgers). Still, there's something to be said for the burger paradigm and luckily, Mark Bittman has an excellent section of his book on how to make good veggie burgers. Here's my version:

Black Bean Burger on Bagel

  • 2 cups black beans
  • 1 medium onion, quartered
  • 1/4 cup pearl barley, cooked in 3/4 cups water until the water is absorbed
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 egg
  • Jot of soy sauce
    Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until chunky. As mentioned before, I do not have a food processor– so I used a blender. This was not as successful as I could have hoped and I had to add a little water to get it to work. As a result the mixture was a little wetter then I would've hoped (but not too much so).

    Let rest for a few minutes and shape into patties with wet hands. Put oil in a skillet and turn to medium. Wait a minute, then add the patties. Cook until one side is browned, about 5 minutes. Then turn over and cook until firm and browned.

    I served it with lettuce from my garden, sour cream whose origin I will mention in an upcoming post and montreal bagels a friend very kindly gave me.

    Serves 4
  • 3 comments:

    1. There is a yummy sounding Lentil Burger recipe in the most recent Food and Drink mag. It is supposed to stand up well on the barbie. It calls for walnuts and cilantro, but you could substitute the nuts and herbs you prefer.

      LCBO Lentil Walnut burger

      1 cup red lentils
      2 cups water
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      1 cup finely chopped onion
      4 cloves garlic, minced
      1 teaspoonn cumin
      1/2 teaspoon each salt and ground peppe
      1 cup finely chopped walnuts (I'd toast them first)
      1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (they suggest crimini - not sure it matters)
      1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or other herb
      1/2 cup FRESH bread crumbs

      simmer lentils/water in covered pot until water
      absorbed (about 15 min.)
      Saute onion in oil until tender (5 min.) Add garlic, cumin, s & p, cook 1 minute. Add nuts and mushroons and cook until no liquid remains (about 5 minutes). Stir in herbs, bread crumbs and lentils.

      grill on oiled barbecue on in a skillet about 6 minutes per side. Makes 4 burgers.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ersatz meat ones I never had a word against. The flakey corn and broccoli ones that fall apart all over the place bugged the shit out me.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I agree with your second part, but I think that things like the bean burgers are a nice middle ground between the two extremes.

      ReplyDelete