Saturday, June 13, 2009

CSI: My Garden

I have started a small garden this summer. There's some dirt in front of my house where my landlords have already planted some ferns and the like and I decided to add some vegetation. Nothing fancy, a few chili plants, some lettuce, flowers from some miscellaneous seeds the Cystic Fibrosis people sent me and four tomato plants.

Four tomato plants... until yesterday. When I woke up that grey June morn I discovered that I now had two tomato plants because half of them were... stolen!

I thought long and hard whether to show this shocking crime scene photograph on a public blog which might, after all, be accessed by orphans or sensitive individuals. Ultimately though, I decided that I needed to share pictures of the devastation that was once one of my tomato plants.

I honestly don't know who would steal a tomato plant. A raccoon? A spaghetti enthusiast? An alien woefully misinformed about the dominant species on our planet? Hopefully it wasn't a radical one tomatoist who interprets the project's goals overly literally.

PS– Yes, I'm aware that I'm going to have to put some sticks down soon and tie the tomatoes to them.

5 comments:

  1. tomato theives, what is the world coming to?

    What variety of tomatoes do you have? Also, I planting marigolds around the vegetable garden prevents animals from eating your veggies.

    On a related note, I don't have a garden this summer (lack of patio/land living downtown and all), so I've decided to start an herb garden in my office. A window sill planter with Basil, Oregano, Parsley and Cilantro (because, during the year, I can't bring myself to pay $1.29 for a bunch of herbs that I can grow myself).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racoons, no doubt. Do you have any deterrent system in place? I've heard two shiny pie plates (cheap aluminum ones) dangling on a string from a stick will scare away deer. Maybe it's the clanging or the shininess. I don't know it it works for raccoons.

    Our friend's (B---- ----) mom uses blood meal in her urban garden, but that might ruin the vegetarian purity of your vegetables if it seeps into the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A herb garden is such a good idea – the mark-up on herbs is so high and they're easy to grow. I really don't have an excuse for not having any (I was wanting some fresh basil for tomorrow but then I realized I can't get any cause I don't own a garden).

    I may have to try marigolds, pie plates or even blood meal. Either that or just stand guard at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a hint: the marigolds don't keep animals out, they keep bugs away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I guess that rules them out for anti-raccoon activities.

    ReplyDelete