Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage"

The connection between Jacobs and lentils goes all the way back to the first Jacob (Gen. 25:27-34). Though I've never used lentils to buy the birthright of anyone, I do really love them. Some people think I eat only lentils, which is sometimes not entirely an exaggeration. Naturally, there will be oodles (probably not the right plural noun) of lentil recipes on here. Tonight's dinner was a fairly informal version of dahl. Normally, when I'm making these I do it with a curry theme but I found this varient to be quite good as well:

Dahl With Vegetarian Oyster Sauce


  • 1/4 cup red lentils
  • 1 cup water or stock
  • 1/4 cup rice
  • oil
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 chili pepper, minced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • [1 teaspoon?] soy sauce
  • [1 tablespoon?] vegetarian oyster sauce

  • Combine the lentils and the stock in a pot on medium-high. Wait till it boils and then turn to medium-low cook for about 15-20. Prepare the rice however you prepare rice (I suppose you could cook it with the lentils, but I usually like to make surplus rice for leftovers).

    Sautee the onions on medium-high in the oil for five minutes. Add the carrots, garlic, chilli and carrots. Stir throughout. With a few minutes to go add the soy sauce and the oyster sauce. I've never actually calculated how much I put in, just eyeball it.

    Combine the lentils and the vegetables. Serve either on top of the rice or mix the rice in.

    Serves 1.

    2 comments:

    1. What's your favourite lentil? Do you ever cook indian dahl? I can teach you how if interested (I don't do recipes - generally just more of a feeling and adjusting to tastes than starting with a recipe).
      ~AS~

      ReplyDelete
    2. I thing I'll be boring and go with red lentils, though I want to get some urad dal and make dosas. I guess I'd say I make Indianish dahl sometimes, though I'm lazy and use butter instead of ghee. I'd love to get your recipe (or recipe equivelent).

      ReplyDelete