Sunday, May 30, 2010

Restaurant: Tibet Nepal House

I lobbied fiercely against the original dinner choice for the night. Inspired by Ezra Klein's cri de coeur against the hated Grilled Vegetable Plate, I took a stand against a restaurant that had only that as its vegetarian option. Blind opposition, of course, is not enough: I needed to propose an alternative. So I googled for restaurants around our hotel and picked the Tibet Nepal House because it sounded fun and I had never had that type of cuisine before. I was glad my suggestion was accepted.

The food was great, similar to Indian but with slightly different spices. We had Daal, Aloo Phulkopi Tarkaari (similar to Aloo Ghobi: potatoes, cauliflower and tomatoes), Aloo-Taamaa (potatoes and bamboo), Vegetable Sekuwa (oven roasted vegetables) and Tse Phing (a noodle dish, which we ordered because it symbolized long life).

In addition, I was particularly excited by the Tofu Saag. I'm not a particular fan of paneer, it's tasteless and just adds fat and unhealthiness to meals. Why have Saag Paneer, I've always said, when you could substitute tofu which is equally tasteless that has the same texture. Finally, I found a restaurant that does this. Also, there were meat dishes, including yak which was apparently quite interesting.

When we flew back to Toronto I had leftover Braised Coconut Tofu for dinner, thus bringing this blog around full circle from the California trip posts. There were other restaurants I went to, including a nice asian fusion place in Pasadena and several mediocre lunches but I think I've done enough items on California restaurants.

Tibet Nepal House
36 East Holly Street, Pasadena, California, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment