Sunday, May 2, 2010

Braised Tofu and Cauliflower in Curried Coconut Milk

I realized earlier today that I hadn't had anything new this week and would have nothing to blog about. So I turned to Mark Bittman's book and opened it at random. I wanted to have something a) good, b) new and c) something with cauliflower to use up the remnants from last week. The recipe I stumbled upon certainly seemed to fit the first two, and a bit of modifications made it fit the last as well.

Braised Tofu and Cauliflower in Curried Coconut Milk

  • 3 large onions, cut into eighths
  • 1 28-ounce can of tomatoes (with liquids)
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 dried chili pepper
  • 2 tbsp neutral oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tbsp garam masala
  • 700-900 grams tofu, blotted dry and cubed
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1.5 cups coconut milk

    Combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic and chili in a blender or food processor. Purée. Add oil to a deep pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the pureed mixture with the salt, pepper and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes: until it becomes saucy. Meanwhile parboil the cauliflower (toss in boiling water for a few minutes) and add the cauliflower and tofu to the mixture. Cook for about about 5 minutes and stir in the coconut milk. Bring to a boil and cook for a little bit more. Serve over rice.

    Serves 5?

    I thought I'd made it too soupy, but once it was over the rice it turned out quite nicely: with a hearty and complex taste. I'm not quite sure how many it serves, my parents and I all had a meal out of it and there were plenty of leftovers.
  • 1 comment:

    1. Coconut Milk I realized earlier today that I hadn't had anything new this week and would have nothing to blog about. coconut water health benefits

      ReplyDelete