Sunday, May 9, 2010

One Nob Hill

I am in California with my parents on my way to my sister's graduation. Currently, we are in beautiful yet hilly San Francisco but who knows where we will be tomorrow (as it turns out: San Francisco). We don't know the city that well, so we asked my cousin for recommendations. He suggested an Italian restaurant with a very un-Italian name: Hob Hill Cafe.



I decided to go for the pizza option, where you build on the basic Margherita by adding toppings. I chose spinach, artichokes and mushrooms. Once I got the meal I regretted my decision.



This was not, of course, because the pizza was bad. It was actually quite good. Rather, I regretted it because I have a very ambiguous relationship with gourmet restaurant style pizza. As shameful as it is to say, in many cases I prefer the stuff from an under-the-heatlamp pizzeria. Luckily, we were all fuller than we thought we were when we ordered so I got to sample my parents orders. They had both gotten pasta and it was excellent. The Fettuccine had a delicious creamy pesto sauce but it was the gnocchi where the restaurant really shined. The gnocchi were light but not insubstantial and the sauce was zesty but not overpowering.

So if you are in San Fran, I'd recommend it but chose the pasta over the pizza.

Nob Hill Cafe
1152 Taylor Street, San Francisco, California, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment