Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cheese Sandwich

I have had thousands of cheese sandwiches over the course of my life. A not insignificant percentage of those have followed the same basic template: marble cheese, lettuce and Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise. There are, of course, variations. Sometimes I do some substitution: a different type of cheese or hummus instead of mayonnaise. I will not put in another type of mayonnaise because I hate them (though I do want to try crafting Bittman's homemade stuff). Occasionally I will augment the sandwich with tomatoes, or avocados, or an olive with a toothpick through it ('cause I'm classy).

Cheese Sandwich

The sandwich I had today fit the normal template, though I added arugula to the lettuce. I find arugula on its own to be too bitter, but it works great with others. One of my favourite things about my standard form sandwich is that you can hold it in one hand and it will stay self contained. The problem with a lot of sandwiches (and with my optionals of avocado and tomato) is that they go against the basic principle of sandwichdom. You bite into the sandwich and the filling shoots out in all directions. I've been in restaurants where the bread is such a small fraction of the overall sandwich that it doesn't even survive first contact. One can only imagine what the Earl of Sandwich would think!

2 comments:

  1. When we got a toaster oven for the first time back in Toronto, I went through a phase of total sandwich mania. Ham, cheese, onions, pickled banana peppers, tomatoes and lettuce in various permutations and toasting techniques.
    Ah, I'd forgotten all about that era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not very good at toasting, mainly because I am too impatient. Most times I take the toast out before it is finished. It is a sad cycle.

    ReplyDelete