Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Thousand Year Restaurant

We went to dinner at another restaurant recommended by my cousin, this time he and his girlfriend joined him. Located next to the Hotel California (or a Hotel California, I'm not sure how this works) the Millennium Restaurant also occupies the prime real estate of #1 google hit for "Millennium" .

The restaurant serves haute vegetarian cuisine and was very elegant. It also proved why I'd be a bad food critic, as I really don't know how to describe the meal.

"Excellent" would be accurate, but not very useful. "My meal had a medley of vegetables, tofu and portobello mushrooms" is a bit banal. "I really don't know how to describe the meal" is a bit meta. I'll give it a shot though:

The flavours were complex and daring. The portobellos were delicious and succulent, with a crispy bottom. I asked the waiter how they did it and he explained that they dredged them before sautéing. The meal also taught me that I'm never going to like parsnips. I've never cared for them and if this place couldn't do them well, nobody can.

Coming up, tales of restaurants outside San Francisco but inside California. Where could they be? You'll have to tune in to find out!

Millennium Restaurant
580 Geary Street, San Francisco, California, USA

2 comments:

  1. Damn! I thought that 'bello was a brown crab or something. What's the bottom line? Will Millenium break the bank next time I'm in San Fran cruisin' for some haute veg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entrees are in the $20-25 range, add in appetizers, wine and dessert and it can raise the price as well.

    ReplyDelete