Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Thy head is as full of quarrels as an egg is full of meat"

I've always compared vegetarianism to Judaism, we look down on those less observant but think those more observant than us are crazy (I guess I'd proably be a equivalent of Conservative; the vegans are Lubavitchers). Yet veganism does have a compelling intellectual draw for vegetarians. If its wrong to eat a chicken, then why is it right to eat its eggs produced as they are by a killing of male chicks and locking the female ones up in a tiny cage where they are treated horribly? I don't have a particularly good answer for that, though I guess I can say I'd never, for example, murder a Congolese child but I did buy a cellphone that is produced, in part, by the death and exploitation of people in the Congo. There are actually long periods of time I am effectively vegan, I don't eat out that often and I don't usually use a lot of animal products in my house. Now is not one of those times though, I took the advice of my co-workers and bought some eggs. While you can use eggs for many things, I'd like to sing the praises of the softboiled egg. Many people don't particularly care for egg yolks, but they are glorious here: like silky delicious lava.

Soft-Boiled Eggs

  • Egg

    Boil water in a small pot. Place the egg in the pot with a spoon and set it to a simmer. Cook for about 4 minutes and extract the egg.

    Serves 1.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment