Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fiery Chickpea Soup

Mere days after I derided Ben Thanh's "spicy for white people" labelling policy, I fell into the same track with this post's headline. Think of the soup as "Fiery for White People Chickpea Soup". It's got a nice, but not strong, heat to it. I adapted the recipe from The Paupered Chef crowd over at Serious Eats (who in turn adapted it from here who adapted it from here. It's turtles all the way down). The soup is orginally called Tunisian Chickpea Soup, but given that I'm using an asian chili paste I don't know if I should claim that.

Fiery Chickpea Soup


  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • Oil
  • 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups stock
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon red chili paste, I used Lee Kum Kee's Guilin Chili Sauce
  • Salt

    Pour the oil into a soup pot and turn the heat to medium. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic, cook for a minute, and then add the chickpeas, cumin, stock and chili paste. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt, and serve.

    Serves 2
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment