Sunday, March 7, 2010

Silky cabbage with quinoa

My parents are away in the Yukon so I took some vegetables out of their fridge so they wouldn't go bad. Now I have an abundance of cabbage. I was going to make dal with cabbage but then realized I wouldn't have anything to write for my three or four loyal readers. So I was flipping through Mark Bittman's book and stumbled across one of his subrecipes: Quinoa with silky cabbage. Quinoa (pronouced keen-wah) is a crunchy protein rich grain. More accurately it's psuedocereal as it's the seeds of a leafy plant rather than a grain. I'm not it's biggest fan, but I'm always eager to add more quinoa to my diet. I didn't stick much to the recipe, but it was a good basis.

Silky Cabbage with Quinoa

  • 1/4 head Napa cabbage, slice into rings
  • pinch of cayenne
  • sesame and neutral oil
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 cup stock
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
  • 2 chilies, minced

    Put the cabbge in a large covered pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring infrequently, for about 15 minutes. Add the oil and cayenne and cook for a few more minutes. Turn the head up to medium-high and add the quinoa and soy sauce. After a few minutes add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the garlic, ginger and chilies stir a final time – cover – and turn the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. If the quinoa isn't quite done or if there's too much stock left, turn the heat up and cook for a few more minutes.

    Serves 2.
  • 3 comments:

    1. You're cooking the cabbage in the first step with no oil or water in the pot?

      ReplyDelete
    2. My approach to cabbage is less creative. I almost always treat it as a filler in soups and stir-fries. It's there as decent tasting way to increase my fibre intake.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yup, no oil or water - the original recipe is for onions but says you can do the same with the cabbage. Worked surprisingly well. I have several other cabbage-related things coming to FV, one going up tonight.

      ReplyDelete