Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Conclusion: Creamy Cabbage and Carrot Soup

With this entry what I believe future historians will term the "Cabbaga Saga" comes to an end. Technically, this was not the last thing I ate from those cabbages but I felt that "I made dal normally and threw in some cabbage" would not be a very interesting blog entry. The impetus for this soup was the fact that I took several unopened packages of sour cream home that had accompanied some nachos at my friend's birthday party. Upon waking up and realizing I had no idea what to do with that sour cream, I looked through Mark Bittmans' book and settled on something from the creamy soups section.

Creamy Cabbage and Carrot Soup

  • oil
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 2 cups carrots, chopped
  • 2 cups cabbage, chopped
  • salt
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 3 1/3 cups vegetable stock
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
    Heat the oil in a pot over medium. When hot, add the vegetables. Season with the salt and chipotle. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, then add the stock and cook for another 15 minutes. Let cool and puree and put it in the blender. Stir in the sour cream and serve.

    Serves 2

    This is a nice unoffensive soup, but it's a little too boring for a main dish. So the serves 2 is a little misleading, it would be a great appitizer soup course before another course – or a breather in between more spicy dishes.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment