Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Story Continues... Kimchi Tofu Soup

My last post here was a bit of a cliffhanger because I didn't mention what dish I used the kimchi in (I realize I am using a very expansive definition of the word "cliffhanger"). Well, now all will be revealed (unless you read the title of this post)! As I used Mark Bittman's recipe for kimchi, I thought I'd troll through the index to find recipes that used kimchi.

Kimchi Tofu Soup

  • dark sesame oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 cup kimchi
  • 1/2 block tofu, cubed (or crumbled if soft tofu)
  • 2 teaspoons chili paste
  • 4 cups water or stock
  • 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup white rice

    Put the sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Add the onions when it's hot and cook for a miute. Add the kimchi, tofu and chili paste for a few seconds then add the water, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Tone down the heat a bit till it's simmering, then add the rice and cook for 15-20 minutes.

    The soup was a nice mix of sour and savoury but, like the kimchi, not spicy enough. I'm going to be making it again this week and I'm going to use soft tofu and more chili paste. Maybe even a couple of my pickled chilies, we'll see if they're still good after I accidentially put them into the freezer.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment