Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Bread of Affliction

Every year, I celebrate passover, where for one week I have to give up leavened bread. It has been particularly annoying as the week started off with my roommate making several dozen delicious cupcakes, which I foolishly did not think of until after the holiday had started. There has also been a veritable flood of free pizza... which was even harder to pass over (I'll be here all week folks, tip your waitress).

So what do I eat instead? Matzah, which tastes like cardboard without the flavour. I'll usually have it with peanut butter (there are some Jews who do not eat peanuts on passover, but that's not how I roll) or cheese, but there are some things you can do to make it taste really awesome. In specific, here is my Mom's recipe for Matzoh Crunch (which I will spell her way, as it is her recipe).

Matzoh Crunch

  • 3 pieces matzoh
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 brown sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

    Line a cookie sheet with foil and place 3 matzohs on the sheet. Melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Boil for three minutes, stirring frequently. Pour over matzoh--fairly evenly but your don't have to spread it as it spreads while baking. (don't go right to the edges)

    Bake for 10 minutes--should be bubbling--if not, give it another minute. Remove from oven, sprinkle with the chocolate chips. When they melt, spread them around. Takes a couple of hours to cool, put in fridge it you need it to cool faster.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment