Sunday, April 18, 2010

Restaurant: El Palenque Casa Del Mariachi

The other day, I had the most bizzare service I'd ever had in my life. I seriously considered that we were actually on Just For Laughs or something. The night began with me and my parents deciding to go out for supper and choosing a restaurant which I thought was just called "Mexican Restaurant" but actually had a longer name. We'd been there before and the food had been great but the service was lousy. Apperently it was under new management so we decided to give it a another try. That was a mistake.

We ordered some guacamole to start which was quite good (although the tortilla chips that came with it were way too salty) and then decided to order the mains. This is when the storm clouds started to gather. There was a burrito on the menu that came with cheese, beans, rice and sour cream. "That sounds good," said my mom to the waitress, "I'll have the burrito." "Beef, chicken or vegetarian?" the waitress asked. "What?" "Beef, chicken or vegetarian?" "No, no meat."

You see, at the top of the menu it had "Beef, chicken or vegetarian" listed (there may have been "pork" but I can't remember) but my parents had not seen that. To them, the question was whether they wanted meat added, which they did not as they are vegetarians like me. We all ordered the burrito (everyone having some similar degree of awkward back-and-forth while doing so) and then the burritos came. We were expecting something that would be a mix of the listed food items. This is what we got instead:

So it was a tortilla filled with mainly rice, with some boiled broccoli and such. I'm a pretty cheap date, as they say, so I just started eating it. It wasn't great, or even that good, but it was alright and I was hungry. The parents, however, were not happy and called the waitress back over. And that was when the bizarreness happened. The waitress wasn't getting at all what had happened and the situation kept on spiralling down.
"Look, we just want what we ordered."
"You got what you ordered."
"No, we didn't. The menu talked about beans, rice, cheese and sour cream. Can we have that."
"What just that."
"Yes, just that, that's why we ordered it."
"Well, this isn't Taco Bell, this is an authentic Mexican restaurant!"
"Oh really? I'm pretty sure that broccoli is not an authentic Mexican vegetable."
"Well we don't know what vegetarians eat."
"Um, not this."
"He seems to be enjoying it."
"He'll eat anything."

The actual conversation lasted probably around 10 minutes but eventually the waitress conceded and brought what they ordered. The whole thing was like a vaudeville routine at the Catskills about some rude waiter at a Jewish restaurant.

El Palenque Casa Del Mariachi
816 St Clair Ave W, Toronto

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the beans had lard? That would be the authentic way to do it. Still, what you get should be what's written on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beans were probably about as authentic as the broccoli.

    ReplyDelete