Sunday, December 6, 2009

Peaceful Lentils

Okay, this recipe is not actually called "Peaceful Lentils"; it has the more proasic name of "Lentil Barley Stew". I had made this recipe while I was a cook at Sci '44 Co-op and then there, on the board, the vegetarian option was listed as "Peaceful Lentils". It confused me for a second until I realized the cookbook it was from was called "The Peaceful Palate". I am, I think, the only one in the world who finds that story interesting. Yet I still tell it. Good times. Whatever you call it, Lentil Barley Stew is an old favourite from my childhood – its a simple hearty stew that is just as good leftover.

Lentil Barley Stew

  • 2 cups lentils (about 1 pound)
  • 3/4 cup pearl barley
  • 8 cups stock
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • salt to taste

    Place all ingredients except salt in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally, until lentils and barley are tender. Add salt to taste.

    serves 12 6.

    The original recipe says it serves 12, but really half that. I guess they're talking about serves 12 as a course as a meal, but my number comes from it being the whole dinner. This is also a good exam-period meal, as once you've done the chopping it's very low maintenance and you can do other things (e.g. study). Plus, it produces lots of leftovers (and, as indicated above, it makes good leftovers).
  • 2 comments:

    1. That doesn't look peaceful at all. Wars have been declared for less, even. And isn't that just dhaal with some vegetables in it?

      ReplyDelete
    2. In the sense that dal means lentils. Its a savoury lentil and barley stew where the lentils pretty much keep their flavour. Typically dal will have some sort of curry in it, butter or another fat and will be more mushy.

      ReplyDelete