Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chickpea and Broccoli Scramble

So, I think that over the December break at least I'll probably be updating the blog more. That means that I'll probably abandon the "Frugal Sunday" format for this month. Tonight's recipe was improvised based on me seeing what food was around. I also made a small amount of stock for this recipe out of the peels and scraps from its ingredients. I also learned that my rice recipe doesn't scale as well as it could – there were remnants of water in the pot.

Chickpea and Broccoli Scramble

  • Oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 broccoli, chopped (what is the unit for broccoli?)
  • 1 dried chili pepper, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup stock
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ginger
  • 1 tablespoon garlic
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1/4 small lemon
  • 1 teaspoon cumin

    Sauté the onion in the oil for a few minutes and then add the broccoli and chili. Add a bit of stock to the pan. After a few minutes, (when the broccoli are bright green) transfer them to a plate. Add the chickpeas, soy sauce, vinegar and remaining stock to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and continue cooking. Return the broccoli/onion mix to the pot and add the garlic, ginger, cumin and lemon. Serve over rice.

    Serves 4.
  • 2 comments:

    1. That'd be head of broccoli if I'm not mistaken.

      ReplyDelete
    2. So the head includes not only the head but also the stalk?

      ReplyDelete