Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Roast Of Garlic

I usually buy five-packs of garlic bulbs for about a buck. The problem is that if I'm away for long periods of time, the garlic isn't really keeping up at top quality. I solved that problem a while ago by planting some of the sprouting/mushy garlic – but there's only so much garlic I'm going to put in my garden. My solution was roasted garlic. When roasted garlic loses its pungeny and becomes a rather sweet mushy food. The recipe is from Mark Bittman:

Roasted Garlic

  • Head of garlic
  • Oil
  • salt
    Preheat the oven to 375°. Take a head of garlic, remove some of the outer coverings and cut off the top. Drizzle with olive oil and salt, put on a baking pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 40 minutes.

    Roasted garlic is great added to other dishes or used as a spread, but I even had some cloves as a snack. They pop right out of their coverings, there's no need to peel. I mentioned that at Veg Out we had the roasted garlic appetizer. It came with some very nice garlic toast, but honestly the roasted garlic tasted pretty much the same as mine. So, roasting garlic gets you something classy and interesting that's quick, easy and provides restaurant quality.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment