Sunday, July 11, 2010

Salsa Cruda Pasta

Perhaps my favourite line from Mark Bittman's book was from his recipe for linguine with raw tomato sauce (and basil). You could use good-quality canned tomatoes, he said, "it won't be the same, but it won't be bad (do not, however, use dried basil, here or anywhere else). And since I have some basil plants and my parents gave me a thing of cherry tomatoes from the market, I knew I should use his recipe as a base for a meal.

Pasta With Raw Tomatoes

  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp basil leaves, tightly packed
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 cup pasta
  • 2.25 cups water
    Cook the pasta – I used my absorption style method. Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, basil, oil, salt and pepper and mash with a fork. With a few minutes to go on the pasta toss in the garlic. When the pasta is done, top with the sauce and serve.

    Serves 1.

    I should probably give a note on the water/pasta ratio. Because I was using fusilli instead of a more tightly packed together pasta my cup overfloweth, as they say. As is I wont, I measure out pasta by filling a plate with the dried stuff. The ratio does not scale up, 2 cups of pasta for 4.5 cups of water would leave excess water (though again, that's not necessarily a problem).
  • 2 comments:

    1. 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes to 1 cup dried pasta? It sounds a bit scant, but you didn't find it so? It sounds like it would be equally tasty served cold.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yeah, you easily could've doubled or tripled the tomato content (I didn't happen to have that much tomato matter though). It still worked with the amount it had though. I didn't think of serving it cold, but it would work as a pasta salad type too.

      ReplyDelete